ORA Singers dazzled at Cheltenham College Chapel




What a delight it was to witness ORA Singers perform at the Cheltenham College Chapel on Friday, February 23, 2018!
Songs featured had the concept of Mercy and honoured the Virgin Mary.  It presented Renaissance masterpieces by Byrd, Victoria and Guerrero, some plainchant from Vespers service in honour of the Feast of the Assumption, with works showcasing talents of contemporary composers.  

Here's a picture of the Concert Program: 

I enjoyed the show with my husband, John.  A song I liked particularly was Plainchant- "Assumpta est Maria".  It was a joyful piece.  I liked it when ORA singers walked to the centre carrying their songbooks and light with them.  It's ingenious how they made use of the space in the chapel when performing.  During the song by Williams "Ave Verum Corpus Re-imagined" some choral singers were at the centre and others were at a distance.  When they all sang together, it felt surreal, and had surround sound.    

Here's a group picture of ORA Singers with their Artistic Director and Conductor, Suzi Digby:


 Wish I took a better picture of them but the audience were told not to take pics during the show.  If I didn't take this picture though, I felt this blog post would be incomplete.  ORA Singers are big on talent and they should have more exposure in Social Media.  


What I find amazing about ORA Singers is their vocal range, how they sing and blend their voices perfectly...  They didn't use any instruments, yet on some part of the show their voices sounded like instruments.  Oh and how they always landed on the same page as everyone else, when they kept turning pages of their song books... That's admirable! If it were me, I'd get lost in turning pages!

Watching ORA Singers perform was my "Heaven On Earth" experience.  I was serenaded by Earth Angels!  While hearing them sing, I thought about all the things I've done, haven't done, and all I could do better.  I even thought about having voice lessons and singing for the church's choir!  If ORA Singers can sing that well, why can't I?  The answer is, years and years of experience and rehearsing, my dear.  I would rather be inspired by these Earth Angels than focus on these thoughts running through my head.  I even closed my eyes and let their voices caress my soul.     


During their performance, they honoured a composer of one of their songs "Benedicta Filia", Mr. Giles Swayne.



The 3 CDs of ORA Singers were also sold at the venue: Upheld By Stillness, Refuge From The Flames and Many Are The Wonders.  Each CD was £10 while all 3 CD's cost £25.


To know more about ORA Singers, visit their website www.orasingers.com or email them at info@orasingers.com


Thanks Cheltenham College for hosting ORA Singers on your Choral Festival Event.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top